What has your support brought forth in 2015? Let's recall it together:
- We purchased 470!
- Your gifts, along with a 2014 gift from the Tom Daily Foundation, not only paid for 470, but secured contracts to lift and move the locomotive.
- The tender and locomotive were separated and the tender rolled on her own wheels for the first time since 1970.
- Grants from Deupree Family Foundation and the Samuel Freeman Foundation have made the purchase of an enclosed shop facility a reality. 470 will be undercover for the first time since 1954.
- The Jacobs Family Foundation, has initiated a fund to rebuild 470's tender.
- Governor's Restaurants have fed work crews both in Waterville and Ellsworth!
- Forrest Autobody of Winterport, refinished the severely vandalized tender backup light!
- The family of Joseph Vaughn family donated a previously unknown movie of 470's last run, along with a remarkable collection of historic timetables and ephemera for sale.
- "The 470 Club" allowed use of its photo-negative library.
- Individuals, too many to list them all, have contributed personal memorabilia, written articles, and marshaled their expertise to document 470's history and career. Special recognition to Bernard Perch, Ben Jankowski, Kerri Marion, and Keith Muldowney.
- Downeast Scenic Railroad has provided us with storage facilities and a place to call "home".
- Friends at Kennebec Rental, Furbush-Roberts printing, W.S. Emerson Co., Governor's Restaurants, A.C. Electric, Odd Duck Foundry, Penobscot Energy Reclamation, Dysart's Trucking, Central Maine and Quebec Railroad, Darling's Automotive, High Ball Graphics, Gifford's Ice Cream, the Maine Eastern Railroad, Cianbro Corporation, "Hot Shots Photo" - Ms. Jessie Drezner, Bangor Neon, N.H. Bragg, Broadway Limited Trains, and the Wiscasset, Waterville, and Farmington Railroad have made our accomplishments to date possible.
- Memorial gifts have been received from Maine-3-Railers, the Fogg family, and the Stickney family.
As 2016 approaches, we continue to take advantage of this unusual weather to prepared 470 to be moved in the summer. We are disengaging pipes, removing appliances, labeling, color coding, photographing, and storing piping and parts. These efforts will continue through the season until winter conditions make us "take a break".
Check out some newly-unearthed photos of #470's last run on June 13, 1954!